Using Prescription Opioid Medicines Appropriately
Following guidelines on appropriate use, storage, and disposal of your prescription pain medications is important. Prescription drug abuse is a serious public health issue.3 Remember, the person who was prescribed a prescription opioid medication isn’t always the only one who is at risk for abuse.
- Take medications only as prescribed
- Be aware of risks
- Understand inappropriate use
- Never give prescription medicines to anyone else
- Hide or lock up opioid medications to avoid access by family, friends, or houseguests
- Keep prescription medications in their original packaging so it is clear for whom the medications were prescribed and to save the directions for appropriate use